Ericeira e Mafra Palace half day
Tourism tour around Lisbon with private guide. This tour begins in Ericeira, located 8 kms from Mafra and 50 kms from Lisbon, whose historic center is a beautiful cluster of traditional houses, predominantly white and blue or tiled. Being a fishing village we can see in some homes the fish drying up, especially rays, hanging from ropes. In the narrow streets we also find some interesting fountains, the old pillory, churches and chapels of the century XVII, the Fort of Our Lady of the Nativity (century. XVIII), traces of Milreu Fort (which left a cannon) and a few elegant buildings. The village had its heyday in the century. XIX, when its port was one of the busiest in the country. However, it will remain forever in history as the place where the last king of Portugal, Don Manuel II, and the queen-mother, Dona Amelia, boardered into exile in England in 1910, after the abdication of the throne in following a republican revolution. Ericeira today is an important tourist spot, not only the beaches but also by the waves because it was considered the world reserve surf.
The Mafra National Palace is located 38 Km North of Lisbon and is one of the most emblematic works of Portuguese Baroque. Built by absolutist King João V in 1713, it is a national monument considered one of the Seven Wonders of Portugal. Includes the palace, a convent with hospital, the basilica and the library. There lived also king D. João VI and D. Carlota Joaquina, parents of the first Emperor of Brazil, D Pedro I. Inside the Mafra National Palace we will visit: the Basilica, the only one in the world with six pipe organs, two historical carrilions of 98 bells and the largest exhibition of Italian Baroque sculpture outside Italy; several rooms and rooms of the Palace, including the rooms of the king and queen, a painting collection of Italian and Portuguese masters; the Hospital of the Convent, with its pharmacy and surgical instruments of the time, the cells of the friars; and the Library, one of the most important in Europe, with 36,000 sec books. XV-XIX. It was designed by German architect Francisco Ludwig and built between 1717 and 1730, thanks to the gold from Brazil - discovered in 1500 by Pedro Alvares Cabral.
Before returning to Lisbon we visit nearby the Typical Village of José Franco, built by a sculptor and master potter. The intent of the popular artist was to recreate a village-sized, like a living museum, where are shown the rooms and the typical occupations of rural life of yesteryear, without forgetting their utensils.In the same space it is also a miniature replica of a village, and the famous sculptures in clay by master Franco, with clear influence of religious art of the Convent of Mafra. A visit that delights children but also adults.